Rudyard Kipling's The Ballad of East and West has probably been read and loved by every schoolboy in East and West but it's probably no longer true. With globalisation and the internet, the inscrutable Oriental is no longer all that inscrutable. But there is one huge difference still - in the East, we love taking selfies but in the West, people seem to think it's narcissistic. For most of us in the East, we think of photos that do not have ourselves in them as cold and impersonal. We also tend to raise an arm in greeting or make the 'peace' sign when we post a pic of ourselves as a mark of courtesy to people who look at the photo. Again, I have noticed that some people in the West think it's odd.
This difference in culture on photo-taking is not completely unknown in the West. The caricature of a tourist from the Far East usually shows him taking a photo with every step he takes. But knowledge is one thing, acceptance is something else. It's even less accepted in naturist circles. First, there are extremely few Asian naturists and even fewer East Asian ones. Next, the few Asian naturists are usually reluctant to post pics of themselves when they are nude because Asian naturists tend to be closet nudists. But if I post 10 photos of myself clothed online on social media and zero photos of myself nude, what does that say of my sincerity when I go round telling the world that nudity is natural and perfectly acceptable?
And what if people say I'm narcissistic? I'll just quote Kipling:
Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat
Oh, and here is a pic of me sprinkling BTI pellets in my garden. This is what keeps my garden relatively mosquito-free.

No comments:
Post a Comment