Tuesday, June 08, 2021

A Naturist in a Highly Conservative Society

I once met a traditional Confucian scholar who told me that he had seen a photo of me (he said it with a sneer) and how could I have no shame? 

The Confucian scholar went on to say that he was told by a mutual friend that I was a Shaolin Kung Fu practitioner. How a supposedly conservative person from such a hallowed school could move around naked in public was something he couldn't understand. 

Although I no longer practise Kung Fu, I do perform from time to time some of the steps for muscle development and more for my balance and stability. I know some naturists are totally opposed to violence and some have expressed concern when they see me posing in apparently violent poses. I'm a firm advocate against any form of physical violence. You can look at this as a form of dance. There is absolutely no violence here. If there is any violence, I'll be the first to flee.

I hope that Confucian scholar sees this photo below. Why can't I be a conservative naturist who performs the sacred art of Shaolin Kung Fu in the nude? 

For those who can't read my horrendous handwriting (it's very hard to write on the phone), the left words say "Shaolin quan" which is literally Shaolin Fist, i.e. Shaolin Kung Fu. On the bottom right is my name. In Chinese, the "lin" of "Shaolin" is exactly the same as my name. One can't get more conservative than that!  



7 comments:

  1. Your culture is as conservative as mine. I think it is a worldwide problem. All cultures have problems with nonconformity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's really it. Is your culture really that conservative? I thought one couldn't get more puritanical than mine. Haha

      Delete
  2. I'm finishing the writing of a book right now about how there are so many conservative Americans who are naturists and how we as naturists can do more to reach that group of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful. You are doing a great job with a book. I wonder if I understand you correctly. When you say "conservative" do you mean general conservativeness? I may be wrong but I tend to think that in the US context, "conservative" means anti-abortion, Republican, a bit more religious and a bit doubtful of global warming? Forgive my ignorance but that's the impression I get which may be wrong. If I am right, I suppose there can be many conservative people who are naturists. I can very well imagine a naturist who is a Republican who thinks global warming is a hoax. Conservativeness viewed that way does not really stand in the way of naturism. This point is important because in my part of Asia, conservative people are NEVER naturists. Even the most liberal and progressive people in Asia are almost never naturists. Naturism is so rare that I am always very cautious when an Asian tells me he or she is a naturist. Many of them confuse sexual promiscuity with naturism.

      Delete