It was first launched slightly more than a month ago to rave reviews. But the GoPro was for a long time not a camera I would even consider for only one reason. It's not selfie-friendly. But GoPro ads have always claimed that it was easy to take a selfie because it's got a wide lens and if you face the camera towards you, it's inconceivable that your image will not be in the pic or video. But every selfie lover wants to be able to see himself on the screen. For me, the only good camera worth buying must have an LCD screen that can be flipped over for selfie taking and it must be water-resistant and it must take very good photos. It's not very easy to find such a camera. For a long time, the only camera I could buy was the Olympus Tough Camera (the Stylus series with a rotating LCD screen). I have owned 5 such cameras. Here are the two of the latest, one of them with the screen flipped over).
But why 5 such cameras? You see, a camera that has a screen that can be flipped over and is at the same time a tough camera that can be immersed in water and can take a drop cannot last very long. That has been my experience. For all my cameras, the point when each one of them stopped working was when I flipped over the screen. It always happened that way. Anyway, this model of the Olympus camera has been discontinued.
GoPro cannot afford to have a screen that can be flipped over. It will ruin the ruggedness of the camera. So, for a long time, GoPro touts itself as a great selfie camera even though you can't see yourself when you are taking a photo or video. That is not acceptable to most selfie lovers and it is certainly not acceptable to me. Finally, GoPro 9 introduced its first additional front screen but the screen was not very responsive and had a lag time. All this changed with the new Go Pro 10. It's got a perfectly functioning front screen which is just right for me.
A few days ago, I placed an order for this new GoPro model and I got it yesterday. I am more than satisfied with it. My only grouse is the voice command is a bit too long. The Samsung phone was the first to allow voice command to activate the camera. I'm quite used to the "cheese", "smile" or "shoot" voice command in Samsung. But to get GoPro to take a photo from a distance, you have to say "GoPro, take a photo"! That's quite a mouthful. But it's only a minor complaint. It sure looks like the GoPro is now the only camera worth buying.

No comments:
Post a Comment