Sunday, May 02, 2021

Sit and be healthy

I very often hear it said that all cultures are good but we all know that's just politically correct garbage.  There are good and bad cultures and there is much that is good in every culture and much that is bad. We just have to be rational in our evaluation and we should accept what is good and reject whatever that is bad or even harmful. 

I have no qualms changing whatever is bad in my own culture. I remember being quite amused when I saw the video of Gordon Ramsay going to some ashram in India. At dinner in the ashram, everyone had to sit on the floor to eat their dinner. It was hilarious to see Ramsay unable to do that. Now, Ramsay is not an unfit chap. He's a 3:30 marathon runner and yet he can't sit on the floor. 

I know very little about other people's cultures but I do know that my own culture leaves much to be desired in this arena. Sitting on the floor is very much a part of every Asian culture I know except mine. Everyone from India to Japan traditionally sits on the floor except the Chinese. Because of this, we try to supplement this deficiency with wushu, qigong and taiji.  But all these are time-consuming. It's so much easier to simply sit on the floor which I try to do every day when I'm reading. The human physique was never meant for chairs. We lose our natural suppleness with time if we don't sit and move about in the way we were naturally designed for.



No comments:

Post a Comment