Wednesday, August 04, 2021

How conformist are we?

Naturists are probably much less so. Defying social norms on clothing is one huge non-conformist behaviour. Some of us lessen the defiance by keeping our naturism a secret from friends and family. It becomes a secret indulgence and if you are familiar with my views, you will probably know that I am personally averse to making a secret out of something as natural as naturism.  

Although I live in an extremely conservative society, I have never felt the need to conform to the dictates of my society. I have always followed my heart. I stick to what I like rather than what society tells me I should like. For this reason, my tastes remain largely the same. When most teenagers experimented with coffee, alcohol and cigarettes, I stuck to what I liked best. I never acquired a taste for alcohol which is incredibly bitter. I am persuaded the love people have for alcohol is something they acquire after having forced themselves to drink it repeatedly. Nobody can possibly take a liking to beer at the first sip. We have to force ourselves to drink it many times until it eventually grows on us. It's the same with coffee which is also bitter. I had friends in my earlier years who forced themselves to drink coffee because it was the "adult" thing to do but I drank only milk. I never felt the need to conform to society's idea of growing up. 

And I must confess that I feel somewhat vindicated when recent research (published just a few days ago - 30 July 2021) shows that coffee is associated with a smaller brain volume and dementia. But don't worry if you are an average coffee drinker (as most people are) and you only drink one or two cups a day. It's only when you consume a lot of it that you need to be careful. For details, please see this.

Let's raise our glasses (of milk) and toast unconventionality. 




No comments:

Post a Comment