Monday, August 02, 2021

When people misinterpret the meaning of my posts

It can come as a shock to any blogger when what he has written is totally misunderstood by his readers and an entirely wrong interpretation is given. Being a naturally insensitive person, I usually don't realise that what I have written has been misread until some very kind readers write to me in private to tell me what others are saying about my posts.

For one very recent post of mine, I received at least 5 different messages and not one of them understood the purport of my post. I am really very grateful to those who bother to comment on my posts or even write to me because I am honestly very insensitive and if I am not told how you react to some posts, I won't be the wiser. Please keep the comments and messages coming. If you disagree with a post, say so. If you think it's inappropriate, give me a firm reprimand.

Here's the link to the post in question with its accompanying photo:

Water water everywhere and not a spot to swim in 


The complaint is all about the text in my photo. One comment that I felt I should correct has to do with the reader's dissatisfaction at my apparent use of "archaic" words such as "alack" and "woe is me". 

What puzzles me is that in all the very helpful messages that I have received (for which I remain truly grateful to the senders), not one of them showed any understanding of the purport of the lines I wrote on the photo.

You see, it was meant as a joke.  I was not putting on airs, as some readers think, with the alleged use of archaism. The lines are nothing more than a parody of two very famous poems, so famous that even people at the other end of the globe (where I live) are quite familiar with them. 

The title comes from Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner where "Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink" has been listed as the world's most famous misquotation. What Coleridge wrote are the lines "Water, water everywhere/ Nor any drop to drink". 

So, my title should alert my readers that the lines that follow are yet another parody. This time, I mangled one of the world's best-loved poems which every child even in countries where other languages are spoken must have come across: Wordsworth's "Daffodils" poem: 

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

I am certainly no poet and there is no way I can compose any poem of my own. But butchering an existing poem is something anyone can do. I had to alter the lines to fit in my jellyfish while still observing Wordsworth's ABABCC rhyme scheme. The archaism is necessary or it won't sound like a parody of Wordsworth's poem. Because I have "sea" instead of "cloud", I thought of "blimey" to rhyme with "sea". But that's too jarringly anachronistic and "woe is me" was the only thing that occurred to me at the point of writing. LOL. 

So there you have it. This is all just a parody of the works of two poets who were friends in their earlier years. But I can see that what's meant to be humorous can be misunderstood if the parody is not apparent or if the reader is not very familiar with poems written two centuries ago. Maybe this is a sign of old age and I need to move with the times. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment