Sunday, March 03, 2019

My photography secret

I read once that we humans usually don't accept our shortcomings but I'm not like that at all. I know what my failings are and photography is one of them. Much as I love to take photos and selfies, I'm just the stereotypical Asian who takes thousands of lacklustre photos every day. 

My photos lack artistry and I don't know how to pose for a pic. Last year, someone online who has been following my blogs wrote to me with suggestions on how I could pose for artistic nude pics. I did some of his suggestions and they look pretty good but I was told the pose was a little artistic-erotic even though I can't see the 'erotic' part at all. But I won't post them because one of the main purposes of my blog is to promote naturism and I don't post anything that even has a hint of eroticism and even if I can't see it.

But there is one trick that I have used which seems to work a little. Knowing how bad I am at posing for a pic and how impossible it is for me to frame a photo artistically, I simply place my camera on a tripod and set it to take a pic every few seconds. One of them is sure to be presentable. It's the presentable ones that I post in my blog.

Here is one example. 

My wife always complains that I am blind to a lot of things. Whenever I take a photo with her and post it on social media, she never fails to be upset with the photo. But I can't see any difference between the photo that she disapproves of and the photo that has her blessing for posting online. What I do nowadays is when I take a photo with her, she will look at it. She will then say it's ok to post it or it's not ok. But her decision doesn't seem logical. Some photos that she rejects seem really good to me and some that she approves for posting appear nondescript. 

I decided to put my mind to it and I do the same for my photos, or at least I try to. For example the first photo in these two pics shows a rather plastic smile. It's not so natural. The second pic shows me with a more natural smile. I should delete the first and post the second?

I can only tell when I compare two photos. But my wife is different. She just looks at one photo and she either dismisses it forthwith or she tells me to post it. I don't know why she's so particular about what photo to post. To be honest, I don't care if either photo is posted or if both photos are posted. Both photos are photos of me doing the same activity. Unless a squirrel appears on one of the trees behind me in one photo and not in the rest, I really can't see the need to choose one and reject the other. 

What I normally do is to simply pick one pic to post in my blog. I won't bother to differentiate between them because I really don't see much of a difference. All this about unnatural smile, a smile that looks more like a grimace, etc mean nothing to me.

So, what's the secret of my photographs? Take a ton of them and at least one should be presentable. 






2 comments:

  1. Your wife has a point. You’re probably not the most objective person about yourself. She’s got her own biases. I will say that smile aside, the picture with the wide spray of water is my favorite. You look more engaged in the gardening activity. And your expression reflects enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do have a point. I look a bit distracted in the first pic.

      Delete