Wednesday, March 06, 2019

One Night in Bangkok

That's the title of a song many years ago. I'll actually be here for a week. When you feel the need for lovely Thai food, this is the right place to be. No city in the world can churn out such a wide array of food and every morsel is delicious.


4 comments:

  1. Nice room. You look very comfortable. Great 24 hour city. Look forward to more moments from your travels. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll only be a gastronomic adventure and even then it's not a real adventure. I will only eat pork, chicken, beef, fish and 'normal' food. I certainly won't eat fried insects which the Thais are so fond of. Bangkok is a food haven for me. I usually come to Thailand before I go to the West. Later this month and next month, I'll be travelling to places where super-spicy food is totally alien. I need to load up on chilli. Haha.

      Delete
    2. So you’re there to condition your palate and stomach for spicy hot foods? Or getting your fill since the places you’ll be visting have bland diets? Regardless, great place to visit, especially those ubiquitous food stalls that pop up at night.

      Delete
    3. European food is great and I really love it. But I grew up eating spicy Malay and Baba food and my palate is somehow more accustomed to it so that even though the food in the country I'm going to later this month is out of this world and absolutely scrumptious, my heart still longs for a visit to Thailand. But I am careful about food stalls in some of these countries. In my country, there is strict government control on all food outlets with draconian penalties against food vendors who are unhygienic. But in countries such as Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia, you really have to be careful. Last year when I was in Bali, I had babi guling at an eatery that is very much frequented by locals. I had a very bad bout of food poisoning. The mistake I made was I chose a restaurant after reading the food reviews written in Indonesian by the locals. So, it was a restaurant that had no tourists. Huge mistake. Funnily, my wife and son who ate the same thing weren't affected. I saw some flies in the restaurant. Sometimes, it's just your luck. These things can happen even in the most hygienic restaurants.

      Delete