Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Beware of the ladder!!!

I didn't realise how risky it was when a ladder was not properly used or when the wrong ladder was used until this afternoon when I climbed up an old ladder to get to the roof at the back of my house. I wanted to check the roof gutters to make sure that there was no collection of rain water in which mosquitoes could breed. Everything was fine and after taking a few selfies up on the roof, I was about to climb down the ladder when as soon as my toes touched the top of the ladder, the entire ladder wobbled. I tried touching the ladder again and again it shook quite violently. I realised that I could easily topple the whole ladder just with one toe! There was no one else at home. It was a good thing I had brought my phone with me in order to take selfies. I phoned my son who came home immediately. As long as there was someone to hold on to the ladder at the bottom, it was ok. I'm going to get a new ladder. This ladder is not the right one for such a height. I'm watching YouTube videos that talk about the different kinds of ladders and how to use a ladder safely.





4 comments:

  1. I see the problem. You have the STEP ladder aligned with the house. This is very dangerous! The ladder should be facing the house so that when you climb up it you are facing the house also. And, one should NEVER use the top platform as a step! Most step ladders have a warning label affixed saying this. Having said this I will add that I have done this, what you did, many times in my long career as a general contractor. Being a professional, however, does not lessen the risks involved. Of course, ladder work always carries a certain amount of risk. Just the other day I was doing some roof work on my mother's house. I should add here that I am 73 years old and not as agile as I used to be. At any rate the step ladder was all I had available at the time so that's what I used to get on and off the roof. The roof line is only about a foot above the top of the ladder. I knew the dangers so I was overly cautious. It worked out well enough. I did fall off a step ladder once a few years ago. Working on my own house. Didn't break anything, good to say. All of those years working professionally on people's houses, roofs and all, I never fell off a house or ladder. Things get vicarious when one gets old-er. Sigh.
    p.s. I am glad to see you are still in the world. Hadn't heard word nor picture in quite a long while. Had some concern for you. This is a dangerous world we are living in now days. We don't need any ladder incidents! Be careful! Cheers, De

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi De, it's so good to hear from you again. Yes, it's a dangerous world we live in now. In your country right now it's all about the Election. Many people seem to be doing all they can to be sure someone isn't re-elected. He probably won't be but even if he is, he is the only one at least who seems capable and willing to punish severely the country that caused all this incredible harm to the world. But I'm on the other side of the globe so I really shouldn't be commenting about the election of other people's head of state. But anyone who takes on China and punishes it is sure to find favour with me. I most certainly am buying a new ladder - to climb up the roof, I need a ladder that leans against the roof. I have learnt a lot from YouTube on ladder safety and I think I should be fairly safe next time. I will make sure that I climb up the roof only when I'm not alone at home. Great to see that you are safe. Hope to hear more from you! Cheers, Lim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tips re ladders. 1. Purchase a quality ladder. Check the rating for the ladder. Those are usually affixed on the ladder someplace. After all, you are placing your life and well-being on that piece of equipment. 2. It is a good idea to have someone around when you are doing ladder work, step ladder or extension ladder. Sometimes it is necessary for a second person to hold the ladder steady for you. Secure ground is important also. Soft ground could cause the ladder to tilt or topple, thus, causing you to fall and possibly injure yourself. We don't want that! 3. As I write this I am wondering if this is not a bit condescending. Of course you know all this, about ladders, so why am I telling you? Well, it can't hurt I suppose.
    As for the current election thing, I am befuddled and frustrated. There is something seriously wrong with Americans. I mean, seriously? Trump??? Of all people! It seems to me that if the democrats were serious about winning the election they would have put someone up as their candidate who was... at least viable. For one thing he's 77 years old! Of course, Donald is 74. And I'm 73. I'm still pretty sharp, though, so maybe age doesn't matter. Except, maybe it does!
    One word, naps! LOL!
    I've read that about 47 percent of Americans want America to be socialist. I think that's just crazy! It is my view, as an observation, that both sides are, at least, a little bat-sh!t crazy!
    I'm voting for Jo Jorgensen, the Libertarian candidate for president. She reflects my thinking on most of the important issues. I can't imagine voting for either one of those other two clowns! It doesn't make any sense to me that anyone would! As for China, I have no strong feelings about that at this time. I do believe the Chinese people need to "fix" their own country and make it a more agreeable place where freedom prevails.
    It should be noted that I am not a republican or a democrat. I have always been a registered "independent". Over 50 years! I cannot bring myself to vote for someone who expresses views or advocates policies I find contrary to the US Constitution, or that promotes anti-freedom positions. I will not elaborate here on the particulars. I do write or speak of those on my blog and podcast. [De-McClungs-Art-Ra-Monologs] Anyway... Be well, and be safe, my friend.
    -De

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your advice. I value all great advice and yours is certainly very helpful. You don't know how useful it is not just to me but to all my readers.

      The US is very far away from me and most of us here don't really think much about the implication of the coming Election. But I'm pretty certain independent parties won't ever win the Election. So won't you be just wasting your vote?

      Stay well and safe. It's always great to hear from you, my friend!
      Lim

      Delete