In this post last week, I wrote about how I got stranded on the roof of my house. I had gone up the roof on a ladder that was neither tall nor stable enough for the job. The ladder wobbled just as I was trying to get down from the roof and I had to phone a family member for help.
I have since then been very cautious about ladders. I googled ladder safety and have learnt quite a bit and I hope to share what I now know about ladder safety. I also bought a new ladder that is just right for me to go on the roof. It will be delivered on Friday and I'll give a demonstration on ladder safety now that I have done some homework. Feel free to comment if you think I've got anything wrong or if you have other tips on the subject.
Last night, a bulb in my bathroom had to be replaced. I have just the right step ladder for that kind of work. Early this morning I replaced the bulb and of course I took a selfie with my voice-command selfie-friendly Samsung phone.
A few pointers:
First, all the ladder safety videos I have seen advise viewers to put on shoes for better stability. I don't agree. I am far more stable barefoot: I wouldn't have dared to go on my toes if I had boots on. When I am barefoot, I can easily tell how close to the edge of the step I am standing on because I can feel with my toes where the edge is. You can't do that with shoes on.
Having said that, it was wrong to go on my toes. You're not supposed to do that when you are on a ladder. If you need to be higher, go one step up.
Never stand on the top part of the ladder or too close to it. I did right to be at least a couple of steps below the top. If you need to go higher, you need a taller ladder.
Remember, there are more deaths and injuries from ladder accidents than other industrial accidents. Look out for more safety tips and demonstrations on this blog, especially when my new 10-foot by 10-foot ladder arrives on Friday!!!

;o)
ReplyDelete